Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Beauty Of Spirit

Yesterday was Valentine's Day. Everyone, including myself, was so wrapped up on how much romance that the day would hold for them. Would he give you flowers? Would she finally accept that date? and so on and so forth. Only concerned about our own feelings of being special.

Then today, something wonderful happens, and it makes me realize how trivial all those kind of things are.
I mean, imagine for a minute, that you have been diagnosed with the horrible disease that is cancer.

Yesterday, I doubt that you would have been worried if you got a box of chocolates or not. You would probably be concerned about other things. Like wondering if you would even be ALIVE to celebrate the holiday the next year.

You all know that I do out call hair/skin/nail services. It was time to go and visit one of my clients to cut and color her hair. She has a grown daughter that had been diagnosed with cancer and had been fighting it for quite a while.

Now, when you go through radiation and chemo, it takes a HUGE toll on one's body. But it also weakens the spirit. For a lot of patients, especially women, losing their hair is a soul crushing blow.

I have always known that, and to this day, I will always volunteer my services for any kind of cancer charity.

But the thing with my client, was that even though she was so ill and was losing all of her hair, she remained in high spirits for the most part. She even took the initiative and empowered herself by having me shave her hair when it started to fall.

She was always lighthearted and even playful about it, sometimes even wearing one of those caps with the fake highlighted spiked up hair.

So anyway, I went over to their house and her hair had actually grown out some. I was amazed at how well she looked. Her hair was kinda like a fuzzy blocky mess from having grown out after the chemo.

Then, she told me the great news...She is no longer a Cancer patient, but a Cancer Survivor! She beat the Big C!

I can not explain the feeling that came over me as I felt the tears of happiness well up in my eyes.

Not having all that much hair to work with, I gave her a cute pixie type cut. I left it soft and fringed around the edges to give it a more feminine look instead of a grown out mans cut.

She was so happy and you can see from the pix that she loves it. She hugged me and kept telling me "Thank you"

But ya know what? I thank HER, for putting things back into perspective for me. To be concerned with real things, and forget the petty stuff. And to always live life to the fullest, cause you never know what tomorrow may or may not bring your way.




No comments:

Post a Comment